17 May 2004
24 Apr 2009
Link to this post
I have had a strange error after deploying my SF project to the production server for the first time. I found a solution and I would like to post it here in case others encounter the same. I also hope that the SF team may look at it and prevent it from happening in the first place.
All was working fine on the development machine.
Then I created a new website on the server and enabled Frontapge extensions on it so I can copy the website using VS Studio 2008, and I deployed the website to the server. When I want to open the website or the SF lgin page, I get an error in
with the message
"Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1"
It turns out that probably the Frontpage extensions create a hidden folder
and in it is another file also called "BrowserFile.browser".
After I deleted this folder, the error went away.
If "BrowserFile.browser" is being changed on the development machine and then reposted to the production server through VS Studio, the _vti_cnf folder is created again, but the problem does not occur anymore. It only occurs on the first post to the server. FPSE stoes the old file versions in the _cti_cnf folder, and on the first post, it has no old version but writes some configuration data into the file located in the _vti_cnf folder. For some reason, this confuses the wesite.
Hope this helps others.