Thanks for the response. I did find the proper license. I was getting the trial pop-up license because I switched the domain from a dev site at some localhost, to the main site.
As for updating the license, I was able to do that too, but no thanks to the "activate a license" link. It took me forever to realize that in the dashboard of sitefinity, under administration, there is a link titled "Version and licensing". Once there, it was easy, but finding it was unnecessarily hard. I wish that activate a license page mentioned something about this link in the dashboard.
Armour Technology Solutions