6 posts, 0 answered
  1. Falcon325
    Falcon325 avatar
    9 posts
    18 Sep 2006
    18 Dec 2007
    Link to this post
    HI Guys and Gals,
         A little help here please, after activating the Forum module, i created some simple pages for the User front-end, Edit Profile, Forum Login, Forum Sign-up, etc.etc.. When I have a new user sign up, where do his credentials get stored? Are they stored in the DB for further approval by the Administrator, or could I use ASP.NET config in VS 2005 to administer Roles and Perms? As it stands after having created the sign-up page, the page will accept all information input, but when I try to use the profile the page returns my invalid login error message. Thanks in advance

Sean
  2. Yasen
    Yasen avatar
    121 posts
    18 May 2013
    19 Dec 2007
    Link to this post
    Hi Falcon325,

Are you using different membership provider for the signup control? If you are, you should not be able to log in the administration, because the newly created user is not valid for the default (cms) membership provider.

My second guess is that you are using the Community edition. If this is so, you won't be able to manage users as this functionality is not included in the free version. You can't manage roles or users, and that is why the Users and Permissions sections in the administration are missing.

The "Forums" module is a strong example why permissions and users are needed. We are considering some changes that would allow proper work of the forums, including registered forum users, as well as some general improvements in permissions. However, it is still not clear which changes will make it for the January release.

Greetings,
    Yasen
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
  3. Rob
    Rob avatar
    7 posts
    18 Jan 2008
    28 Feb 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Yasen,

I just started using Sitefinity Community edition and I think i'm running into the same issue here.
    Can you confirm?:
    I have created a forum, but anonymous users are able to post, create threads, etc. It is not possible to make posting only available after logging in?

It seems to me this is just the kind of functionality you need for a community website. One of the reasons we picked Sitefinity was that the community edition contained forum functionality.

Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Rob Houweling.
  4. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    28 Feb 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Rob,

Thank you for using our product.
    A solution for your case is going to be available next week when the official version of Sitefinity 3.2 Community Edition should be out. You will be able to manage user permission for forums, as well as try out many other new features. If this is not acceptable for you, please contact us again and we will think about a custom solution for you.

Greetings,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

5. Rob
    Rob avatar
    7 posts
    18 Jan 2008
    28 Feb 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Georgi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Another question, I'm just starting with the configuration of Sitefinity. Is it wise to stop now and wait for 3.2 or is the installation a matter of upgrading?

Kind regards,

Rob Houweling
  6. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    28 Feb 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Rob,

The installation of 3.2 will not act as an upgrade from earlier versions of Sitefinity. When started, the installer will make a new program groups so you will have an option whether to work with 3.2 or with earlier version.
    If you want to make an update, we will provide a patch, that would allow you to make a manual update of the core files. You will be able to find the latest upgrade instructions at our web site:
    Upgrade instructions 

Since you are just starting, we recommend you wait if it is possible for you, because that way you will skip the manual upgrade procedures.

We wish you good luck with your future Sitefinity projects!

Greetings,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Register for webinar
6 posts, 0 answered