Custom page properties

9 posts, 0 answered
  1. Chris
    Chris avatar
    87 posts
    11 May 2010
    18 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    I am trying to add some custom properties to pages. I know that SF does not really support custom page properties out of the box, but I have created a new database table and written code for saving and retrieving the custom property values, but I can't work out where to call my code from.

All the posts on the forum about this topic seem to point to an article that no longer exists - http://sitefinity.habaneros.com/default/09-02-17/Page_Meta_Data_-_Intercepting_Sitefinity-769469583.aspx

Can anyone tell me or give me a code sample demonstrating how I can achieve this?
  2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    21 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Chris,

Such code should be added to the code behind of

•  PagePropertiesEdit -you could use OnLoad or OnPreRender to call the code that retrieves the custom property data.
    • PagePropertiesInsert - when you click SaveButton, so you could subscribe to Click event. Your code will be executed after the base code.
    The control templates are located under Sitefinity/Admin/ControlTemplates/Pages folder. If you want to use these properties somewhere else you need to make the database queries to retrieve the correct value for Page-Property

Best wishes,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. Chris
    Chris avatar
    87 posts
    11 May 2010
    21 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    I thought I probably needed to look at these controls however they don't have any code behind by default when I open my solution in Visual Studio (I have converted my SF web site to web app - I get "Unable to convert" errors for all the usre controls under the SiteFinity directory).

I'm not sure how the page controls work. Do I need to create a view class and map it to the ascx in a similar way to how modules work?

Thanks,

Chris.
  4. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    21 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Chris,

These are just controls for which you need to create a code behind.

Greetings,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  5. Chris
    Chris avatar
    87 posts
    11 May 2010
    21 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Thanks Ivan, looks as though this works.

Chris.
  6. Chris
    Chris avatar
    87 posts
    11 May 2010
    21 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi again Ivan,

Sorry but I've come up with another problem I don't know how to solve. In the code behind for these controls how do I know what the page ID is? I need to store the page ID alongside the value of my custom property so I can get it back again. Can you help?

Thanks,

Chris.
  7. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    21 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Chris,

When you select a page its ID is appended to the QueryString, but you should better get the selected page from the PageEditor as shown below

PagePropertiesEdit.ascx

protected override void OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
        {
            base.OnPreRender(e);
            Guid pageID = ((Telerik.Cms.Web.UI.PageEditor)(this.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent)).SelectedPageId;

}

The properties get enabled when you create a page, so the correct place to add your properties is under PagePropertiesEdit.ascx template.

Another option is subscribing for CmsManager.Executing and check the command name

void CmsManager_Executing(object sender, Telerik.ExecutingEventArgs e)
     {

if (e.CommandName == "CreatePage")
         {

}
     }

Best wishes,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
  8. Chris
    Chris avatar
    87 posts
    11 May 2010
    22 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    I struggled slightly with how best to set the properties when the page is first created in PagePropertiesInsert.ascx.

I found that SelectedPageId is not set when I subscribe to the save button click when creating a page, and the Executing/Executed events are firing twice. Something funny is going on with the lifecycle that's preventing me from tracking whether I've already processed the Executing event (I set a property to true but the second time the event fires it is set back to false so I end up inserting duplicate rows in my table) so I've ended up with a hybrid solution...

void SaveButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                SaveButtonClicked = true;
            }

void CmsManager_Executing(object sender, Telerik.ExecutingEventArgs e)
            {
                if (e.CommandName.Equals("CreatePage"))
                    CreatedPage = e.CommandArguments as CmsPage;
            }

protected override void OnUnload(EventArgs e)
            {
                if (SaveButtonClicked && CreatedPage != null)
                    // save custom properties
                base.OnUnload(e);
            }

However I'm sure there must be a better way. I don't feel comfortable at all using OnUnload for this purpose.
  9. Chris
    Chris avatar
    87 posts
    11 May 2010
    22 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    I suppose I don't actually need to catch the save button click as catching the CreatePage command will tell me it's been clicked but I can't see how to process the command outside of OnUnload.
Register for webinar
9 posts, 0 answered