I am posting this because I had to do some digging through forums and FAQs to figure out how to do this since I am new to Sitefinity. Since I needed to do this, I am sure others have had need of doing this too. This is a method of changing the event control's default setting of showing the publication date to the event start date and then sorting the event by event start order ascending. There is a of caveat though. Changing the control template will change all of your event controls to use the event date instead of the publishing date.
The following changes can be made to show the event's start date sorted ascending:
- Navigate to the Event Control in the Sitefinity folder structure.
- Open up the DateTitleList.ascx
- Change the literal control's id from "Publication_Date" to "Event_Start"
- Edit the page containing the event control in Sitefinity
- Edit the event control
- Click the Advanced tab
- Expand the Filter section
- Change Sort Expression from "Publication_Date DESC" to "Event_Start ASC"