1-888-365-2779
+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Developing with Sitefinity / Storing profile details not working.

Storing profile details not working.

5 posts, 0 answered
  1. Darren
    Darren avatar
    72 posts
    Registered:
    19 Mar 2008
    19 Jul 2009
    Link to this post
    I have an old Sitefinity site which I recently updated to the latest patch version and everything works fine except as part of the update I've added some new profile properties and updated my registration page to store these additional properties when the user registers.

    However, it seems that when I save the users profile it doesn't get persisted so the telerik_Profile table remains empty.
    OK, so I thought this might be my code so I tried storing profile information through the main Administrator page, to start with just saving the 'position' for a current user since this is a standard profile property in the latest Sitefinity version but this isn't being persisted either.

    Now I should explain that in this site I do use my own Role and Membership providers but this shouldn't be a problem since I'm using the Telerik Profile provider out of the box.

    So I'm thinking one of the following may be at fault.

    * The profile provider provided with Sitefinity assumes I'm using the standard Membership provider so looks in the telerik_Users table which I'm not using.
    * There's some small change I missed while updating the project to the latest patch version but looking in web.config it looks to me at least like it's using the correct provider supplied with the toolkit.
    * Something else I haven't considered.

    I don't want to have to impliment my own profile provider if I can help it so can you think of anything that may be stopping the profile from being stored considering that the site is using its own Membership and Role providers?
    It's literally just a case of the details not being stored but no errors when I go to store profile details.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Darren
    Darren avatar
    72 posts
    Registered:
    19 Mar 2008
    19 Jul 2009
    Link to this post
    Incidentally, if I should use telerik_Users in my Membership provider then that won't be a problem since there are not many accounts in the solution I'd need to update.

    Also, through the control panel under User Details it also gives the account UserName next to Forename so I'm interested to learn where Forename is pulled from since this may be a bug in the Membership provider.

    I may switch back to the built in provider for Membership and Roles for this project but I'd be interested in knowing more generally how to get this working correctly.
  3. Darren
    Darren avatar
    72 posts
    Registered:
    19 Mar 2008
    19 Jul 2009
    Link to this post
    One final note, just as a test I switched my Membership provider back to the built in provider and tested with that and found it didn't fair any better so that rules out the idea that it might be Membership provider or table related.

    I'll go back and check the web.config in detail again.
  4. Darren
    Darren avatar
    72 posts
    Registered:
    19 Mar 2008
    19 Jul 2009
    Link to this post
    OK, I've got this working now.
    It was simply a bug in the web.config file, a throw back to some earlier work which meant the application name for the profile provider was wrong hence the profile wasn't being written out.
  5. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    Registered:
    12 Sep 2017
    20 Jul 2009
    Link to this post
    Hello Darren,

    I believe that the problem is fixed now. If you need assistance write back to us.

    Greetings,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Register for webinar
5 posts, 0 answered