Starter Kits

4 posts, 0 answered
  1. Stuart Hemming
    Stuart Hemming avatar
    144 posts
    07 Jul 2004
    23 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Assuming the Starter Kits reappear at some point, will it be possible to get them running using SQL Server (as opposed to SQLEXPRESS).

-- 
    Stuart
  2. Gabe Sumner
    Gabe Sumner avatar
    440 posts
    09 Sep 2007
    24 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Hey Stuart,

It's possible even with the old starter kits.  In a nutshell, you'll need to use SQL Server Management Studio (there is an Express/free version) to attach the MDF database that sits in ~/App_Data.  Once attached, you can use SQL Server Manager Studio's export options to transition the schema & data to a *real* SQL Server.

Let me know if these instructions aren't helpful.  I can probably blog this procedure or record a video.

--

P.S.  I've heard talk about us shipping scripts with future SDK's so they are less tied to a specific type/version of database.  As it stands, it's a pain for you to convert and it's a pain for us to create something that is easily consumable for customers.  However, I don't have an ETA on this.

Gabe Sumner
    Telerik | Sitefinity CMS
  3. Stuart Hemming
    Stuart Hemming avatar
    144 posts
    07 Jul 2004
    25 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Gabe,

Thanks for that. I should have been able to work that out for myself, but...

Creating a short video and, perhaps, getting it on Telerik TV might be a Good Thing though.

-- 
    Stuart
  4. Andrei
    Andrei avatar
    24 posts
    22 Jan 2011
    11 Dec 2011
    Link to this post
    Can I just say, I just cant get these starter kits going. The databases are teh wrong version, errors when you try to start it, i spent so much time and I still cant get any one of them to start up.
    andrei
4 posts, 0 answered