+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / General Discussions / Anyone have trouble with IE 10 on Windows 8?

Anyone have trouble with IE 10 on Windows 8?

10 posts, 1 answered
  1. Dan Sorensen
    Dan Sorensen avatar
    256 posts
    Registered:
    13 Aug 2010
    21 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    Has anyone run into issues running the Sitefinity Editor with IE 10 and Windows 8?

    I am running into an issue now that *may* be caused by the browser version / Sitefinity version incompatibility.

    I am running 5.0.2523, Windows 8, IE 10, VS 2010 SP1 and the issue only occurs when I go to edit a page. I get some JavaScript errors that prevent the page from loading. So far the error is not occurring in Firefox nor Chrome.

    "Unable to get property 'documentElement' of undefined or null reference Error"
    The issue may be related to this RadControls forum post:
    http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/general-discussions/error-in-ie-10-due-to-telerik-dlls-version-2009-2-826-35.aspx 

    I am hoping to upgrade Sitefinity to a newer version soon, but have quite a bit of testing to complete before we can upgrade the site. I am afraid to upgrade until I isolate the specific cause of the issue. (don't want to compound the problem with upgrades until I determine that is the appropriate fix)

    Thanks all,
    Dan
  2. MB
    MB avatar
    302 posts
    Registered:
    09 Jan 2005
    22 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    When I suspect an IE version issue, the first check is usually to <F12> for the developer toolbar, and then test different browser & documents modes - I am assuming this is still there in IE10?
  3. Jochem Bökkers
    Jochem Bökkers avatar
    787 posts
    Registered:
    13 Aug 2007
    22 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    Hey Danny,

    Just tested it with a 5.1.3270 site, browsed with both IE10 'Metro' and regular from a Windows 8 machine and seeing the same message, although it did function properly (image widget/content widget add/edit on a page).

    Could be any number of issues, whether its double jQuery loading or the $Telerik happening 4 scriptresources later than jQuery or stuff like if(Sys.Browser.agent==Sys.Browser.InternetExplorer... not taking IE10 into account yet.

    According to the roadmap Q3 2012 of the RadControls will bring IE10 support but in the meantime perhaps the Sitefinity team can give us some test cases to document ?

    Jochem
    Answered
  4. MB
    MB avatar
    302 posts
    Registered:
    09 Jan 2005
    22 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    @Jochem
    Perhaps the $telerik static client object ? 
    http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/telerik-static-client-library.html

    As far as I know, it doesn't have a 'isIE10' property yet.
  5. Jochem Bökkers
    Jochem Bökkers avatar
    787 posts
    Registered:
    13 Aug 2007
    22 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    @MB,

    Yeah, so its very likely that IE10 'Backend' support won't come till end of the year.
    One thing I noticed though earlier is the fact that IE10 reported wrong doctype declaration on the console output of the Developer Tools.  

    Haven't checked it again, but if that's the case, IE10 could be defaulting to quirks-mode and jQuery has never supported/worked properly in Quirks-mode...
  6. Dan Sorensen
    Dan Sorensen avatar
    256 posts
    Registered:
    13 Aug 2010
    24 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    Jochem (and all),

    You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help on short notice. Yes, it does appear to be an IE 10 back-end incompatibility. I appreciate your confirmation so I know it's not just this workstation. It's easily worked around at this point as all of my staff members savvy enough to be running Win8, also are running a second (supported) browser on their machine such as Chrome or Firefox.

    I have also heard that 3Q will attempt to support IE 10. I hope so, it's a very good browser - especially for development work.

  7. MB
    MB avatar
    302 posts
    Registered:
    09 Jan 2005
    24 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    Have you tried forcing the compatibility level on the base template/masterpage ?

    You know, the <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="ie=8" /> or whatever.

    That should force IE into compatibility with a lower version, and you can replace it with "ie=edge" once support is in place for the latest version of IE.
  8. MB
    MB avatar
    302 posts
    Registered:
    09 Jan 2005
    24 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    Oh, of course I completely missed the BACK-END part of the problem... which makes my comment complete nonsense (as usual).
  9. Dan Sorensen
    Dan Sorensen avatar
    256 posts
    Registered:
    13 Aug 2010
    24 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    MB: No problem, good suggestion that provides a decent work around. If I enter the F12 tools of IE 10, and then set the browser mode and the document mode to IE 8, it works as it should.

    As you might guess, it's not a realistic permanent fix, but it's workable for development for now.

    Thanks for looking into this!
  10. Dan Sorensen
    Dan Sorensen avatar
    256 posts
    Registered:
    13 Aug 2010
    24 Sep 2012
    Link to this post
    Setting IE 9 for both browser and document mode also works.
10 posts, 1 answered