This is to let you know that Sitefinity 3.6 for .NET 3.5 framework is now available for download on these links:
The purpose of the beta is to expose the new backend architecture to module developers. Our team is still working on fixes.
Sitefinity 3.6 Beta doesn't support Medium Trust and is not build against .NET 2.0 framework. These options will be offered in the official relase.
What's New in this Release:
- Embedded Templates
Framework, including the new template parser has been implemented, however in version 3.6 beta only templates for Generic Content, Lists and Polls modules have been embedded. In official release all templates will be embedded. Configuration file for mapping controls to an external templates is provided in App_Data – in Sitefinity 4.0 graphical user interface will be available as well.
- New backend framework
New backend framework for rapid development of custom modules and simpler extending of the built-in modules has been implemented. In 3.6 beta only Generic Content, Lists and Polls have been transferred to the new framework. In the official release all built-in modules will be transferred to the new framework.
- Client side data binding on the backend
Generic Content module grid for displaying content items has been modified to use very fast and responsive client side databinding. In the official release, we will provide client side data binding for all Generic Content based grids.
- Dynamic Links
Ability to use dynamics links in editors of all Generic Content based modules and Generic Container control has been added. This feature provides link integrity even if the url to a page or a document changes.
- Caching substitution controls
Base classes for implementing cache dependent controls. These base classes allow controls ability to be dynamic even when on a cached page.
- Hierarchical categories
With this new feature it is possible to implement hierarchy on categories, where one category can be a parent to one or more child categories. When browsing by categories, users will see all content categorized in the given category or one of its child categories.
- RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2008 SP2
RadControls have been updated to the latest service pack.
- RadControls for Silverlight Q3 2008 SP2
included in Sitefinity v.3.6 on .NET 3.5 only.
- Video Library Support using RadMediaPlayer for Silverlight
included in Sitefinity v.3.6 on .NET 3.5 only.
- Amazon S3 Data Provider
Data provider for Video Libraries using Amazon S3 for data storage and streaming.
- Don’t work for Lists, Forums and Newsletter
Generic Content module
- Status and workflow of content items are not functioning correctly
- When changing the providers, an exception will occur if providers are changed while an item in current provider is opened
- Links from the dashboard to the Generic Content module (e.g. Create new content item, activity items) are not working
- Generic Content is not working with wildcard mapping enabled
- “Create new item” button is not hidden if user does not have permissions to create items, however user will not be able to create a new item due to security exception
- When you modify the parent category, child categories will move up to the parent’s level
- Rotating lists mode does not behave correctly
- In Expandable lists module, “Expand all” link does not work correctly
- When Permissions are displayed, the All Lists link in the Command Panel is also selected.
- History window will not refresh after
- History does not work when localization is turned on
- Thumbnail selector is not working
- Time is missing from publication and expiration dates selectors
- Permissions java script error prevents from clicking on “deny” checkbox
- Cannot delete empty questions
- The All Polls command does not work properly after filtering the polls (by date or by current user) i.e. it still displays the filtered result instead of all polls.
New Backend infrastructure
- Breadcrumb links does not work
- Automatic command panel building does not produce correct command names
- Command parameter does not get automatically cleared when not needed anymore
- In Internet Explorer after numerous maximizing and restoring the control, control will eventually cause Java Script error and page will need to be refreshed
- Sitefinity 3.5 at this moment cannot be upgraded to Sitefinity 3.6
Images and Documents
- Uploading more than one item will cause Java Script error
- Permissions do not work for multiple providers
- TIU sample site does not work in Sitefinity 3.6 beta
- Sitefinity 3.6 beta does not work under medium trust
Our team is working hard towards the official release of version 3.6.
We look forward to receiving your feedback!