+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Set-up & Installation / Installing Sitefinity on Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6

Installing Sitefinity on Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6

6 posts, 0 answered
  1. Rob Moorhead
    Rob Moorhead avatar
    3 posts
    07 Oct 2009
    17 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi,

I am trying to setup Sitefinity 3.7.2022 on Windows Server 2003 R2 with IIS 6.0. I have looked through several installation documents and videos but they all seem to talk about IIS 7.0 on Server 2008 or Vista. Where can I find documentation that will tell me how to validate my installation and make sure the database is setup correctly?

The installation PDF says the procedure is the same as on Windows XP. That section talks briefly about setting up SQL Express. Next for automatic installation of Sitefinity, it says that it's the same as Windows Server 2008. That basically has you walk straight through the wizard accepting all of the defaults. The videos and bullet proof installation guide highly recommend checking some settings before launching the Sitefinity Project Manager. I would be interested in knowing this information to make sure that everything is configured correctly. Do you have any documentation that is more targeted towards Windows Server 2003 R2, IIS 6.0, and SQL Server Express 2008?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Rob Moorhead
  2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    22 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi Rob Moorhead,

Than  you for using our services.

Unfortunately we do not have specific documentation about Windows Server 2003 R2, IIS 6.0, and SQL Server Express 2008? The resources you have seen describe the installation over the last versions of Windows and IIS.  Generally the procedure for all platform is the same. The database installation is automatic and the only think that you should ensure is that the user you use is a dbo.

If there are any problems you have, please let us know.

Kind regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  3. Rob Moorhead
    Rob Moorhead avatar
    3 posts
    07 Oct 2009
    02 Nov 2009
    Link to this post

Does this mean that IIS 6 and SQL Server 2008 Express are unsupported? Do you have customers that are currently running Sitefinity with IIS 6 and SQL Server 2008 Express? Is it known whether Sitefinity will work with IIS 6 and SQL Server 2008 Express?
  4. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    01 Feb 2016
    02 Nov 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi Rob Moorhead,

Thank for getting back to us.

Here is the Sitefinity System Requirements page. As you can see from there we do support IIS 6.0, SQL Server Express, and we do support Windows Server 2003. There should be between your IIS version and the database platform that you are using as long as it is from one of the supported one.

The installation guide has a chapter on how to configure IIS, and it discusses the configuration of IIS 6.0. There should be no other additional settings to the IIS. Make sure that the ASP.NET worker process has full control over the ~/App_Data/ directory of this site. As it says in the installation guide you should make sure that ASPNET account has database owner permissions to the database that you are using. This is also discussed in the installation guide.

Best wishes,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  5. Kenny
    Kenny avatar
    1 posts
    04 Jan 2008
    10 Mar 2010
    Link to this post
    I am trying to get a sitefinity site deployed to a Windows Server 2003 machine. The "Telerik.Framework.dll" looks like it requires "dwmapi.dll", which is a Windows Vista/7 file. That makes it look like WS2003 is not supported. Can you provide any help with this?

I can send a screenshot of the Server Error showing it can't load "Telerik.Framework", and I can also send a screenshot of Dependency Walker showing "Telerik.Framework" is unable to load "dwmapi.dll". Thanks for any help you can offer.
  6. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    01 Feb 2016
    10 Mar 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Kenny,

Thank you for joining the conversation. 

It is true that Telerik.Framework assembly has a dependency to this dll, however this does not necessarily mean that the Windows Server 2003 OS is not supported. Attached is a screens capture of installing Sitefinity and creating a project on a Windows Server 2003 box. If you could provide more information on the errors you are getting this would be great. However I thing that the issues may not be related to Sitefinity itself. 

Kind regards,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Register for webinar
6 posts, 0 answered