+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Set-up & Installation / Sitefinity 3.x Installation Corrections for Windows Server 2008

Sitefinity 3.x Installation Corrections for Windows Server 2008

5 posts, 0 answered
  1. RickC
    RickC avatar
    24 posts
    23 Apr 2003
    18 Aug 2010
    Link to this post
    Based on my experience in installing Sitefinity 3.7 the detailed Installation Guide for Sitefinity 3.x for Windows 7 doesn't correctly address some of the issues found in installing Sitefinity on a 64-bit Windows 2008/SQL Server 2005/2008 setup. This has been raised in previous posts but the Installation Guide has not been updated to reflect this. Since many developers run Windows Server 2008 on development machines, a common platform for evaluating Sitefinity I wanted to share my installation tips.

For 64-bit Windows Server 2008 Systems -

STEP 2 CHANGES: Under Step 2 of the Installation Guide when you are configuring the ApplicationPool to Classic.NET AppPool you need to select Application Pools at the top level of the IIS tree to show the list of all the Application Pools. Then right click on the Classic .NET AppPool and the Advanced Settings... Change Enable 32-bit Applications to True. Without this the Web-based portion of the installer won't run when you try and go to http://localhost/telerik/sitefinity/3.x/

The Telerik Installation Guide now instructs you to select the Classic.NET AppPool again as described above and change the Identity to LocalService. This is incorrect for a 64-bit Windows Server environment. Set Identity to NetworkService.

STEP 8 CHANGES: Under Step 8 you create the new SQL Server Database (in this case I am using SQL Server 2008 rather than SQL Server Express). Since you are not using LocalService in the Sitefinity application you will need the NT Authority/Network Service account to be able to login to build your new Sitefinity database. The standard SQL Server 2008 installation will already have the NT Authority/Network Service as a Login. Open SQL Server Management Studio and in the Object Explorer click Security and Logins folders on the tree. You should see the  NT Authority/Network Service is already a login. If not, right click the Logins folder on the tree and click Add New Login and add the NT Authority/Network Service. Next right click the NT Authority/Network Service and grant it sysadmin permissions. Now you can open http://localhost/[YouSiteName] and run the Project Startup Web page to connect to your new SQL Server database and run the installation scripts without errors.

Hope this is useful for others. This is based on my work with a single installation on a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 system so Telerik staff please chime in if you have other recommendations.

Rick

2. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    19 Aug 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Rick Curtis,

Thank you Rick. We have sent this to our documentation staff. 
    We have added 700 points to your Telerik account for the feedback.

All the best,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. Gloria
    Gloria avatar
    1 posts
    26 Aug 2010
    30 Aug 2010
    Link to this post
    I am installing 4.0 SDK beta on Windows Server 2008 which is a VM host. The documentation for server setup is vague at best. When I ran the installation from the Sitefinity_SDK_4_0_Beta.msi. The software never installed the telerik IIS Site Settings. I am trying to install  the Beta in a test environment, I am installing the IIS portion on webdvlp Windows Server 2008 VM and the database will reside on seperate VM running Windows Server 2008 and SQL 2008.  Have you any instruction for setup in this instance?
  4. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    01 Feb 2016
    31 Aug 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Gloria,

The Sitefinity 4.0 Project manager is different from the Sitefinity 3.x one. The main difference is that it is now a windows application which runs its own integrated Casini Development server. The installer does not create the telerik website in IIS anymore as it does not need to. You can see sample video how to create a website using the Sitefinity 4.0 Beta Project manager here. When you install the SDK the project manager is created in the install directory of the SDK.

Sincerely yours,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  5. Michael
    Michael avatar
    11 posts
    03 Jan 2008
    06 Jan 2011
    Link to this post
    Fantastic job Rick!  I was lost with the conflicting telerik documentation on installstallation (some say localsystem, another says networkservice, no mention of the 32-bit enable option, etc).

Thanks again. 
Register for webinar
5 posts, 0 answered