+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Set-up & Installation / windows 2008 database setup - NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

windows 2008 database setup - NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

6 posts, 0 answered
  1. Graham Mattock
    Graham Mattock avatar
    1 posts
    22 Nov 2009
    23 Nov 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi

I'm following the instructions from the downloadable pdf file for setting up the database on windows 2008 server (page 19).  It says i need to add two users:

1) "........choose the checkbox for NT/System and role ......"
    2) "........choose the NT/Service Network role......"

When i click on 'browse' i don't see these exact options, please see attached screen shot - which am i supposed to choose?  I've tried all of them but i get the following error when i try and connect in the setup:

There was an error trying to connect to the Database Server:
    Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.

Thanks

2. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    01 Feb 2016
    23 Nov 2009
    Link to this post
    Hello Graham Mattock,

Thank you for using our services.

Which version of MS SQL Server are you running? To add the NETWORK SERVICE login to the MS SQL Server open Microsof SQL Server Management Studio connect to the server. Then expand the Security folder, then right click Logins and choose New Login. In the window that opens click Search button and enter NETWORK SERVICE, then OK. This should add the NETWORK SERVICE login to your SQL Server (see attached image for reference). 

After you have added the NETWORK SERVICE account click on its User Mapping, select the DB you need and add the dbowner role for this account.

Kind regards,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  3. Neil Timmerman
    Neil Timmerman avatar
    3 posts
    09 Oct 2012
    07 Dec 2009
    Link to this post
    I ran into the same problem but I figured it out.

Are these instructions for SQL Server Express or something? By default the Network Service account is not added as a login to either SQL Server 2005 or 2008 Standard/Enterprise Edition.
  4. Neil Timmerman
    Neil Timmerman avatar
    3 posts
    09 Oct 2012
    07 Dec 2009
    Link to this post
    I recommend you guys review your documentation as it relates to installation on Windows Server 2008. I attempted installation with Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition. I was careful to follow your instructions exactly. I used the x86 version of IE, selected to "Run as Administrator", however, the browser doesn't appear to be running as what you are expecting. I ran into two problems.

1. I got an Access Denied error when I tried to run CreateProjectWizard.aspx. I got around that by going to the Sitefinity3.7 directory and giving the Users group full control.
    2. On step 21, the step where you set the database, I could not connect. I attached two screen shots that illistrate the problem. I have added the Network Service account as a login and given that account db_owner role and permission. However, the browser doesn't seem to be running under that security context, and as such, trying to connect to the database with "windows authentication" doesn't work. I worked around it by creating a SQL Server login and user and giving it db_owner, unchecking "windows authentication", and entering my SQL Server user to get to the next step.

5. Neil Timmerman
    Neil Timmerman avatar
    3 posts
    09 Oct 2012
    07 Dec 2009
    Link to this post
    That first image i attached was the wrong image. You guys don't provide a way to delete posts or attachments.
  6. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    01 Feb 2016
    07 Dec 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi Neil Timmerman,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I want to let you know that we are currently revising the Sitefinity Documentation and are on our way to improving it. Thank you for pointing out which sections you think need improvement. Your observations are accordingly noted.

The db_owner permission should be given to the service account which is used as the identity of your Application Pool. By default in IIS 7.0 the identity of the default application pool (integrated pipeline mode) is NetworkService (refer to attached image). The Network Service account is not added to the DB logins in neither version of MS SQL Server.

All the best,

Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Register for webinar
6 posts, 0 answered