It is nice to hear from you again. Thanks a lot for the nice words about Sitefinity
At this stage, we do not advice to use Sitefinity
3.0 for site development. The product is still in alpha and there are many things to be improved. The first beta will probably be not stable for development either. If the project is large and important, we will suggest using Sitefinity
Here is a short list of v3's features:
- Brand new graphical interface;
- adopts masterpages technology and more new functionalities like membership services which are .NET 2.0 dependants;
- offers new layout rendering, i.e. it will not use tables any more, but DIVs and CSS instead;
- Sitefinity 3. 0 allows the workflow to be customized. There is one default stage, live, that allows content to appear directly on the live site. The user has the opportunity to reduce or extend the steps of the workflow process according to his needs.
- File manager;
- We also plan to include pluggable modules – Polls and News;
The official release of Sitefinity 3.0 is planned for October 21st and it will also include Blog, Forum, FAQ, and Newsletter modules. By the end of the year we will add some more modules like e-commerce, survey and statistics; improve CMS. Next year we plan to adopt new functionality such as Workflow Foundation (part of .NET3).
The documentation will also be updated to reflect the latest changes.
21 Nov 2005
06 Oct 2006
Link to this post
I hope the development work is going well. The whole crew here are pretty excited about version 3 so we are looking forward to the Beta release next week. I've assigned a developer and a Project Manager to spend a few hours testing it thoroughly for you.
The reason for my post is to ask two questions:
- With the Beta release set for next week, is the end of October still a realistic deadline for the release of version 3? Can you provide a worst-case scenario deadline that I can work with? Say early-November?
- In the thread above, you mentioned that version 3 is going to include blog, forum, FAQ and newsletter modules. Is that still the case? If so, that is awesome. Can you provide a little more detail around the forum and newsletter modules? The reason I ask is because we were just about to implement Community Server for the forum solution but would prefer to have it all under Sitefinity.
We have a few large clients that we are currently designing and plannnig websites for. We would really like to utilise version 3 for both of them so the dates are quite important to us. I don't mind if you give me a date of December or whatever, I just need some confidence around the stable release of the next version.
24 Sep 2012
06 Oct 2006
Link to this post
Thank you for dropping us a line, Adam. We too are excited to be finally bringing Sietfintiy 3.0 to life and we are putting every effort to stick to our promise and be ready by the end of October and still offer a neat and stable version. However, as the beta is not out yet, it is not easy for us to predict the amount of time we will need to spend testing and fixing once it's out. We should think the beginning of November is the latest deadline for the official release.
The Sitefinity 3.0 official release will include Polls, News, Blogs and FAQ pluggable modules. As for Newsletter and Forum modules, we are sorry to say this, but we can't make it for this release and we still cannot commit to a timeframe for their development. As soon as we come to a final decision, we will let you know.
All the best,
the Sitefinity team