26 Jan 2011
29 Apr 2011
Link to this post
I'm hoping this post will help others catch this issue, and to let Sitefinity know of a rather user-unfriendly issue I ran into just now.
We are adding multiple URLs to several of our pages for SEO purposes. Here is something peculiar I ran across while doing so.
Step 1: Make a group page
Step 2: Save group page
Step 3: Go to "Actions" >> "Title & Properties" for the group page you just made
Step 4: Click "Allow multiple URLs for this page"
Step 5: Provide a valid URL - "~/newurl"
Step 6: Click "Save changes"
...It's not saving. What the heck is going on? No alerts, no messages, no response at all!
Turns out that when you create a group page, the required "Title for search engines" property of the page does not get set. Also turns out that when you have "Use this page only to group other pages" checked, you can't see this property to set it. How to get around this issue:
Step 1: Uncheck "Use this page only to group other pages"
Step 2: Provide a value for "Title for search engines" which should now be visible
Step 3: Recheck "Use this page only to group other pages"
Step 4: Click "Save Changes"
This works for me without any other issues. Why Sitefinity doesn't have a conditional constraint check in place...well I guess this is a small aesthetic issue in comparison to some of the other issues that are currently getting addressed. Anyways, I hope some of you can benefit from my headache.