More in this section
Forums / Deployment / Deployment of SF 5 site... 404's and login failures

Deployment of SF 5 site... 404's and login failures

The forums are in read-only mode. In case that you want to directly contact the Progress Sitefinity team use the support center. In our Google Plus group you can find more than one thousand Sitefinity developers discussing different topics. For the Stack Overflow threads don’t forget to use the “Sitefinity” tag.
2 posts, 0 answered
  1. Travis
    Travis avatar
    86 posts
    15 Oct 2008
    07 May 2012
    Link to this post
    Hello,
    I've reviewed the documentation on deploying a sitefinity site, watched a video on it, and I'm having serious issues getting this SF 5 (5.0.2500) site up and running in a new environment.

First off, I tried following what the video suggests (http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/video-tutorials/installation/deploying-sitefinity-to-a-webserver.aspx), and deployed my app as normal to the server. This results in constant 404's on the server. Any file I try to navigate to in the directory leads to a 404. If I tried to goto /Sitefinity, I get redirected to /Sitefinity/Authenticate/SWT, which is a 404.

So, I downloaded the project manager, after reading the installation manual, and was able to get an instance up an running on the server. Great, I thought. I went in and changed my connection string, which then gave me the "FrontendSiteNode" error (remedy to that issue here: http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/kb/sitefinity-4-x/when-sitefinity-project-is-deployed-to-production-server-an-invalid-root-node-configured-for-pages-no-root-node-with-the-name-of-frontendsitemap-error-is-thrown.aspx). I then went in an modified the projectConfig file, so it matched my sf_page_node table.

Now, I'm able to get to my login screen, but I cannot log in. None of the users that are part of the site that are in the database work. There doesn't seem to be any exceptions occuring, so, what am I missing here?

edit: I have it up an running. I set up the project in Sitefinity Project Manager (on the server), making sure to give the same name as the database I was going to tie it to was expecting. Then, I copied my config files (App_Data/Sitefinity/Config) from my deployed site to my newly created site, being sure not to overwrite the Projects and Security config files which had been created by the sitefinity project manager. Then, I tried to load up the site, got a permissions error on App_Data, so, I added modify permissions to that directory for the IIS User acount, and now it works. However, given previous trials, I'm pretty sure this is going to break the next time I attempt to publish all my files, as simply overwriting the files in that new project folder with my deployed site resulted in the constant 404 issues I described above. What is responsible for the 404's? Perhaps that will help me to determine what it is that causes the issue when i deploy.
  2. Travis
    Travis avatar
    86 posts
    15 Oct 2008
    25 May 2012
    Link to this post
    I was right, it broke the next time I published.
2 posts, 0 answered