03 Dec 2008
28 Nov 2011
Link to this post
This is what I do
1) Ask host to backup my database
2) Wait 4 hours for them to do it ;)
3) Download it locally, attach to SQL
4) Backup my current webapp
5) Run the project manager upgrade on my site locally (stored in Dropbox)
6) Load the site in VS2010 and build it.
7) Make sure the site loads locally on my IIS
8) Fire up Filezilla and upload the bin AND clientbin folders to the server.
9) Hit your live URL, since bin has changed your apppool will recycle, and when it starts to load, SF will take over and perform the upgrade properly.
I have NEVER had this fail on me, and even if it did, I have my dropbox backup to restore from.