More in this section

Forums / General Discussions / Site works, but remote Administration does not

Site works, but remote Administration does not

5 posts, 0 answered
  1. Atle
    Atle avatar
    22 posts
    Registered:
    11 Jan 2011
    11 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    I think I need a little help.
    I have tried so many things, so finally I installed the Project manager on the production server. Here is what I have done:
    1. Created a new project on the server.
    2. Created a virtual directory for the site.
    3. Gave "modify" permission to App_Data folder for my App pool
    4. Added wildcard application mapping as instructed

    Result: site works just fine and I can admin the site from Project Manager on the server.

    The problem:
    If I enter ..myapp/Sitefinity from a remote computer I get the logon screen and I can log on, but whatever I try to modify, an error message popping up saying "Error". This box pops ut until I kill Internet Explorer with the Taskmanager. 
    It seems that I can only administrate the page if I use Project manager (that use the Telerik developement server), not IIS. It may also be a permission problem, but I do not know what to try next. Anybody who can help me?

    Red: I have Windows Server 2003 + IIS6

    Atle


     
  2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    Registered:
    12 Sep 2017
    11 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Hello Atle,

    If you can provide some more description about the "Error" this would help to give you some hints.

    All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

  3. Atle
    Atle avatar
    22 posts
    Registered:
    11 Jan 2011
    11 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Hi!
    The error is just "Error". Its a small popupmessage showing "Error" (nothing else). It won't go away no matter how many times I close the box, so I have to kill it. That message comes when I go to ex. "Pages" from Dashboard.

    Also, if I select Inplace edit (Show Editing Tools) , I get a popupmessage "Undefined".
  4. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    Registered:
    12 Sep 2017
    12 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Hello Atle,

    Please observe the HTTP request and response. Enable service tracer log and see if there is an error there

    Kind regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

  5. Atle
    Atle avatar
    22 posts
    Registered:
    11 Jan 2011
    12 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Thanks!
    I have now solved the problem! At the same time some other major problems we had on the server are gone. 

    We had UrlScan 2.5 installed. From the UrlScan log file I could see it had blocked "URL's with "." in the path". We uninstalled URLScan and then we got a good descriptive errormessage instead of just "Error".
    The problem turned out to be that we had both "Anonymous" AND "Integrated Windows authentication" activated in the Directory Security tab in IIS6. It seems that caused the problem.

    Regards, and thank you for helping!


5 posts, 0 answered