" you cannot just close your eyes on the features coming with the Official release"
Yes I can. To keep with the car analogy, you've created a beautiful looking car (marketing/promised features). However, if you look under the hood, you put a governor or us by telling us the upgrade we get is limited in concurrent CMS users, took away six cylinders (the ability to do web balancing), taken away the leather seats, power windows, heated seats, A/C, radio, power steering, navigation, and integrated Bluetooth (Breadcrumb, Search Control, Generic Content Link from Content Block, Forums Module, Newsletter Module, Lists Module, Polls, Wiki). So I have a cool looking car that can't go more than 10MPH that I'm told can be upgraded sometime after I buy it.
Also, I can't close my eyes regarding the migration. I won't be able to use any of the new 4.0 features until our site is migrated. I've been trying to keep a cool head and have started seriously evaluating 4.0. Unfortunately the migration is a disaster. Not only do I have to download code (which needs to be tweaked), build, and install it in a couple places but when I do the migration it either doesn't work or only does a subset of the work. In the current state of things, we'll need to schedule a couple of weeks just to migrate our site. I haven't seen anything about what I can expect or when I can expect it when it comes to migration. If I'm going to make a purchase before the prices go up, I should at least have the right tools to evaluate the product and migration before making a purchasing decision. After all, if we have to have multiple resources dedicated to migrating, setting permissions, fixing external links, etc., on 1200 pages that could take weeks to migrate and QA - costing us several thousand additional dollars! At that point it does make sense to consider using the migration tool to push content into another CMS. If you made it simple enough, I would have another reason keep the status quo.
For a significant upgrade fee (we now need professional or enterprise) plus a substantially higher annual cost, I had sort of assumed that the transition from 3.7 -> 4.0 was going to be smooth.
Lastly, how you can have a "release candidate" that isn't feature complete is beyond comprehension. I expect a release candidate to be feature complete with some bugs. With all due respect, you should really continue to call this product what it is - a beta. From Wikipedia (and any other firm I've worked with in the past):
"The term release candidate (RC) refers to a version with potential to be a final product, ready to release unless fatal bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization, all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug."
Clearly this product isn't there yet.
I hope you shock me by getting everything wrapped up and delivered by your January deadline. I'm not ready to bail on Sitefinity at this point, but you've got a lot to get done before you convince me to stay with your company.
I've been patient for a long time and I'm trying to make the best of a frustrating situation. Sorry for the rant.